About Me

I am Roland Burton.....ok, so I'm not "actually" Roland Burton, but if you watch the show "Army Wives", then you are familiar with the lone male military spouse. I've been married to a Soldier since 2006 and that is exactly how I've felt throughout the years. I've only met one other male military spouse during this time, but I have connected with a few wonderful female military spouses over the years that have accepted me with open arms and made the transition from duty station to duty station much easier. We have two beautiful girls and we love the military life. My name is Dee and I am a "Real Life Roland"

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Deployment resources


With deployment fast approaching, I’ve been trying to gather resources to prepare myself for this big change. Though I’m definitely going to miss my wife, I’m more concerned with our 3 year old daughter adapting. This is the first time she will have to be away from her mother for an extended period of time. We weren’t really sure how to explain to her what was going on. Stumbling through the Military OneSource website, I found a DVD called “Talk, Listen, Connect: Deployments, Homecomings, Changes”. I was able to order a copy for free and it arrived in less than a week. It is geared towards military families and their kids between the ages of 2 and 5. Our daughter’s eyes were glued to the television as she listened to the story of Elmo and his father, as they prepared for him to leave and “go help some people”. Throughout the DVD there are clips of military families discussing, with their children, how they dealt with deployment. The thing I was most pleased with was that there were male and female soldiers shown, so it was relevant to our family. Our daughter fully understood what was going on and this allowed us to easily explain that her mommy had to “go help some people” like Elmo’s dad. She even asked to watch it again when we finished!

For me, the best things I have stumbled upon for myself are avenues of support for male spouses. On Facebook, there is a group called MANing the Homefront- Military Style. Through this group, I was able to meet another male spouse (or MANspouse as they refer to them). He turned out to be a pretty cool guy and a great barber, so you could say I killed two birds with one stone by joining this group! They are also starting chapters at various installations, so we look forward to adding other guys to our local chapter. In the week I have been a part of this group, I have seen men turning to each other for advice, sharing their experiences, and enjoying socializing with others that they can relate to.

I also found an organization called Macho Spouse that has a Facebook page and website. They provide educational videos and links to other resources. The video series on communication is great and is geared towards the male spouse, unlike most other videos I’ve seen.  I also enjoyed the interviews with other male spouses, as they discussed their experiences with deployments, understanding your importance in your spouse’s career, and meeting other spouses.

One of the goals that many families have during the deployment is to save money or pay off bills. I found out that the majority of creditors will reduce the interest rate, on accounts in which the Soldier is the primary, for the duration of the deployment. Most will reduce it to around 6%, but some drop it even lower. It can be quite time consuming getting in touch with the correct department, gathering the required documentation, and sending it off, but it will be well worth it in the long run. This saving spree even prompted me to call my cable and internet companies. While they don’t offer anything special for deployments, they were very helpful with offering me promotions that saved me additional money.

I’ve had a very productive week and though I’m saddened by the fact that my wife’s deployment date was moved up, I am feeling more prepared. And it is easier for a prepared spouse to be a supportive spouse.

What tips do you have for a spouse dealing with deployment?

2 comments:

  1. Love the title of the blog! I think this is a subject that hasn't really been touched, and I'm willing to put money on the fact that you'll get a ton of visitors in no time.

    I've been where you're going, to a point anyway. I, of course, am not a male spouse of a service member, but I was the spouse of a service member for eight long years. We pushed through four deployments, countless mini deployments, and a bunch of other BS.

    I love that the two of you have used the Elmo video. I remember when that came out; I was so excited, and our daughter enjoyed it. She watched it over and over again, and it continued to be useful as she grew older and Daddy kept leaving.

    Being prepared is also great. For one, it occupies your mind. Two, you just feel like you can handle things better. Three, there are no lingering questions once the spouse has left.

    As far as advice... I'm sure you've pretty much heard it all, but I'll give you a few of the tidbits that stuck with me:

    Live a normal life with your child. Of course Mommy, despite her momentary absence, is a part of her life, and should be no matter what. But, Mommy's absence shouldn't be a focal point. Continue your routines, or even make new ones {we did, like cereal for dinner and special "date" nights}. If she sees you continuing on with life, she'll take cues from you. And, you'll have the added benefit of having things that are "just" Daddy/daughter things. I know it sounds harsh, but I always tell people, we just went on with life without Vince here, and he fit in when he was here. He was gone so, so, SO much that we just had to do it. I couldn't put our daughter through the constant changes anymore than I needed to.

    Set goals. For yourself, for your marriage, for you kids, big, small, insignificant. It doesn't matter, just have things you're working toward; it helps pass the time.

    Don't feel pressured to be another one of the military spouses, always doing military things. For various reasons, I kept my distance from the formal spouse groups and chose to hang out with just a few I met through various means.

    OK, wow, this is long. I could go on and on... It sounds like you've got it all under control, but we're always here if you ever need to bend an ear. :)

    Subscribing to your blog; can't wait to keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany, thank you so much for your comments, compliments, and advice! I really like your suggestions about living a normal life with my child. It is so easy to focus on the absence of one parent that we can forget to focus on the presence of the other. I will definitely use this time to build a strong bond with my daughter and show her that we can miss mommy and still go on with day to day living.

      I've already been working on goals for this deployment for our marriage and myself, but I never considered goals for the kid. A year is a long time and I didn't even think about stuff like pre-school that would be coming up!

      You may consider your comment long, but I consider it a blessing that you not only showed interest in what I had to say, but also shared your experiences to help me on this journey.

      And thank you for subscribing!!

      Delete