About Me

I am Roland Burton.....ok, so I'm not "actually" Roland Burton, but if you watch the show "Army Wives", then you are familiar with the lone male military spouse. I've been married to a Soldier since 2006 and that is exactly how I've felt throughout the years. I've only met one other male military spouse during this time, but I have connected with a few wonderful female military spouses over the years that have accepted me with open arms and made the transition from duty station to duty station much easier. We have two beautiful girls and we love the military life. My name is Dee and I am a "Real Life Roland"

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Duty station friends vs lifelong friends


I grew up as an Army brat. My father served 20 years and I spent my childhood moving every 3 years. One thing I know how to do is make new friends!

And now I continue the “make a friend” trend, as a spouse.  Things have changed quite a bit since I was a child. Gone are the days of paying for long distance phone calls and exchanging mailing addresses. But one thing that hasn't changed is that some people you meet will become lifelong friends, while others are merely duty station friends.

And just to clarify, I don't consider people friends just because Facebook says they are! My friends are in the phone book on my iPhone. We may be in different time zones, but we still get a rousing game of phone tag going in an attempt to have a conversation! One friend even sent me a text message on the 4th of July reminding me about his cookout and the ice I’m supposed to bring! It’s that type of humor that reminds me that I’ve still got a place in their heart. I may not talk to them often, but my interaction with them extends much further than just "liking" a new picture on a social networking website.

Duty station friends are great when you're in the same physical location, but when that PCS move comes, you typically regress to just Facebook friends; at least until the military brings you back together again.

But lifelong friends are the ones that never let the barrier of distance weaken the friendship. Though you may not talk often, you know they are only a phone call away. These are the people that if the Internet went away today, they would put a letter in the mail just to keep in touch!

There's nothing wrong with being duty station friends. They help you through rough times and are there for some pretty important good times as well.

Finding duty station friends is a gift. But don’t be too disappointed if the closeness doesn’t last long after the PCS move. Some people are only meant to be in your life for a season, but true lifelong friends are the gift that keeps on giving.


2 comments: