About Me

I am Roland Burton.....ok, so I'm not "actually" Roland Burton, but if you watch the show "Army Wives", then you are familiar with the lone male military spouse. I've been married to a Soldier since 2006 and that is exactly how I've felt throughout the years. I've only met one other male military spouse during this time, but I have connected with a few wonderful female military spouses over the years that have accepted me with open arms and made the transition from duty station to duty station much easier. We have two beautiful girls and we love the military life. My name is Dee and I am a "Real Life Roland"

Monday, September 3, 2012

Gender-based military spouse groups


“What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet.”
Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

I was reading an article online titled “Where Do MANspouses Go For Resources?” and I was honestly shocked by some of the comments left on the page. No, they weren’t rude or vulgar. But they just didn’t sit well with me. The focus of most of the comments was on the use of the term “MANspouse”. It was called ridiculous and discrimination by a few people. Though there were a couple of women that echoed these sentiments, they were started by, and most often repeated, by men.

In order to examine the reader opinions of this term and the associated group, MANning the Homefront, I decided to do a little research of my own.

The first thing I decided to look at was the feeling of discrimination. I decided to see how many female military spouse groups I could find online through a simple Google search. This is what I came up with:

Submarine Wives club
The Military Wives Social Club
Military Wives & GF's of Hampton Roads
The Jacksonville Military Wives Club
Military Moms
Christian Military Wives
Military Wives Support Group
Ft. Riley Military Wives
Hawaii Military Wives
Military Mamas & Wives of JBLM
Navy Wives Clubs of America

At this point, I honestly stopped searching, but I’m sure there are a lot more. Some of these are organizations that meet in person and others are FaceBook groups. Then I did a Google search of male military spouse groups. This is what I found:

MANning the Homefront
Macho Spouse
Male-itary Spouses’ Club

Clearly, the number of groups attempting to reach male spouses is limited. On the FaceBook page for MANning the Homefront, there are a lot of women that actively view, comment, and “Like” the posts. Things posted are not just beneficial to male military spouses, but all military spouses. So basically, I can’t understand why some would feel that this organization, or the term “MANspouse”, is discriminatory.

The second thing that I want to look at is the feeling that the name is ridiculous and unnecessary. Well, they had to call it something! In order to get most men involved, you have to have a name that is inviting. In the world of military spouses, males are the minority. It is hard to get a man involved in something that has the phrase “military wives” in it. And unfortunately, when many men see “military spouse”, they automatically think it is geared towards female spouses.

This takes me back to the quote from Shakespeare. It means that you have to focus more on what something is, and less on what it is called. This goes both ways. Men have to understand that many organizations have the phrase “military wives” in it because it has been that way since before most of us became military spouses. That doesn’t mean that men can’t necessarily be involved in that group or an all-inclusive alternative.  And people also have to realize that even if you find the names of the current groups geared towards men to be ridiculous or unnecessary, there is more to them than just a name.

These groups serve as a resource, not to replace the current realm of military spouse groups, but to be a gathering place of men who share a common experience. There will be times when a woman wants to have a spa day with other women and times when a man will want to go fishing with other men. I personally think that groups that connect people with like interests are great. Because after the ladies finish their spa day and the men get back from fishing, we are all still military spouses; and that is more important than any other group name that exists. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm one of the Key Spouses for my wife's squadron, and a dude. Personally I just ignore any references to gender. I'll proudly wear a big old button that says Key Wife if they really really want me to. OK, well, I'd wear it. I guess it really doesn't matter. I have a "job" to do.

    My wife doesn't complain when she's called an Airman, so I guess I can't complain.

    Carry on, my brother! We might fight a different fight (than our spouses), but we all fight along side one another. It's good to see another guy taking the reigns. There are far too few of us and even less who do what we do with such pride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brett, thanks for your comments. I, like you, enjoy hearing of other men actively involved in the military community. I commend you for volunteering and paving the way for other men to step up and do the same in your area. You are right when you say that our numbers are small and the numbers that stand up proud are even smaller, but hopefully guys like us can help others to see that there is no shame is supporting your spouse and in turn, supporting the US Military.

      Delete
  2. Nice post. I started Army Husbands on facebook and also find "manspouse" a little odd. I am a combat arms vet and a former police officer but I know stay home and watch our 5 kids... I enjoy your post keep them up.

    ReplyDelete